Which of these sounds familiar?
- Costing my cakes is a nightmare that does not go away!
- I have no idea how to make money with my baking!
- My competition is too big. Everyone makes cakes. I can't compete!
- I know what Social Media is but have no idea how to use it optimally!
- I would love to have my own website, but I am not Savvy!
- I do not understand the science behind marketing!
- Technical Jargon - SEO, Adsense, MetaTags! HELP.
- I have kids and can't run a business from home!
- My baking/decorating skills are not that great!
- I've tried before, but my business failed!
If you agree with any of the above statements, you're coming from a fixed mindset that believes you are not good enough to own your own successful and profitable baking business or is afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
Hi! am Jacky! Wife, homeschooling mother of two rascals, online entrepreneur, and owner of Cake Craft Studio! A place where beautiful cakes are made, and training in both business and decorating is offered.
I am a passionate follower of Jesus Christ and is not ashamed to be called His daughter! I believe I am called to be a mentor, teacher or advisor in the passions that are instilled inside of me. Therefore, I strive to teach others the art of "Business @ Home", especially in the baking and decorating part of the industry!
And this is my story...
I know you are thinking - another "sob" story on the internet, but that is what makes success hilarious! All successful people have a"sob story! I challenge you to go do some research and you will see that it is the truth.
I do not want to bore you with the finer details but I can tell you when my friend introduced me to cake decorating, I had no idea that themed cakes even existed. She knew we were desperate for an income and somehow she convinced me to give it a try. I could not even bake a cake for that matter, how on earth will I be able to decorate it!
I took a leap of faith and made my very first Dora cake. It was terrible. My kids told me after the birthday party that the cake was so oily that they could not eat it. If you look closely.
The butterflies were strategically placed over the places where the fondant actually made tears or had elephant skin. Let's not even discuss the blue cake!
To top that off, look at the way the picture was taken - bad light and ugly background.
Time heals the wounded...
Obviously I can't show off all my work as 10 years of cakes are a lot of cakes!
As we all know, practice makes perfect. I watched thousands of tutorials, bought lots of books. Spend so much money on different cake decorating tools that I am still not using today. I've advertised in newspapers and eventually realized that I am NOT making money at all.
I thought that if I just have a website all will be so much better! I grabbed the opportunity with both hands, created my first FREE website. I thought why pay for a site if you can have it for free, right?
During my first 5 years of being in the baking and decorating business world, I've learned quite a lot of things that no money can buy or even a College Degree will teach you! There is a difference between book knowledge and real life.
Here are just a few points to ponder on when you want to start a business from home that actually makes money:
- What not to name your business.
- Not to buy everything your eyes see when you walk into a cake decorating supplies shop.
- Not to underestimate the power of word of mouth.
- Not to take on work that you are not ready for or have the skills set, but you have to push the limits!
- Not costing your cakes correctly. You have to make money! It is your business and people need to pay for your skills and time.
- Not to waste time on certain freebies on the internet such as free websites.
- Understanding the legalities of being food safe as well as the rules and regulations of your country.
- Know where and how to get finances.
- Not wasting money on unnecessary marketing, but to understand what works.
- Difficult customers and how to avoid them in a nice way without feeling guilty.
- Getting organized at home and keep your sanity!
- How to market your business online and offline with a limited budget.
- How to take pictures for your portfolio.
- How to work smarter, not harder.
- What on earth is SEO and how does it affect me?
For most of us, the problem is ,we have no idea where to start. When I began my journey, I would have killed to get advice from someone who had already achieved my goal.
Now, I would like to be that someone for you!
AIf you would like to find out exactly how I set up my business, subscribe to become a Cake Warrior and download my ebook it is absolutely FREE.
Finally, if you have any questions or comments related to my story, business, or anything else, then feel free to post them in the comments section below. I am not always in front of my PC, but I will respond to all comments as soon as possible.
Let's get social!
It is now almost a decade later. I have moved away from making cakes (except for the ones I now choose to make). I have been blessed with a fabulous studio where I teach other people the skills I have learned.
It all started almost a decade ago! A stay-at-home-mom, homeschooling her kids, living a relaxed life until a bomb was dropped in my house! Suddenly we needed and income!
Cake Decorating became our “wallet”. It was a long-hard road to success! I have learned through hardships, long hours and continuous improvement, that for every impossible situation, there is a possible outcome. You need to choose whether you will believe it!